Are you Experiencing a Basement Flood? Flooding can happen at any time of the year.
A basement is a fantastic asset when it comes to creating extra leisure space, rental income, a laundry area, or storage. But in Toronto, this room is prone to the odd basement flood and that’s no good. How do you know you’re experiencing a basement flood?
- Frequent plumbing backups.
- Pooling water around the foundation.
- Improper sloping ground near the home.
- Reverse sloping driveways.
- Cracks in basement and foundation walls. (note we don’t do foundation work at Hoerner)
What to Do During a Basement Flood?
Let’s be honest. Plumbing issues are never fun for a homeowner, but they happen. One of the worst plumbing issues you will ever deal with is a basement flood. Here are some actions you can take right away:
- Shut off the power, gas and water around the area and do not enter the area until you have done so.
- If the flooding is caused by rain or storm water, wait until the storm has passed. If it is caused by sewage, deal with it immediately.
- Always wear gloves and boots when you deal with flooding.
- Check the floor drain in your basement to ensure it did not become clogged and to enable it to drain the water efficiently.
- Move any soaked and damaged items from the basement to a well-ventilated, dry area. A sunny place would be ideal, if the weather permits.
- Pull up any carpets and remove it from the basement immediately, as it can prevent the floor from drying.
How to Clean Up After a Basement Flood?
It will take several days for the basement to dry. If possible, open all windows and doors to increase ventilation, and use fans to dry out the area. An industrial dehumidifier can also help speed up drying time.
One of the keys to post basement flood cleanup, is the prevention of mold. Therefore, it is important to wash down the walls and floors to remove any dirt. At the same time, remove any damaged or wet insulation or drywall.
Professional Help with a Basement Flood
It’s important to get professional help with a basement flood as soon as possible. Hoerner Heating & Plumbing are experienced basement waterproofing and basement flooding experts. Our knowledgeable technicians can advise you on basement flooding protection and the toronto subsidies available to you.
The City of Toronto has been hard at work making improvements to the complex underground plumbing systems and upgrading catch basins, sewers, and underground pipes. However, you should not rely on that alone to protect your basement from being flooded. They do have rebates for some preventative items you can install for your home: Toronto basement flooding protection rebate program.
With climate change there is often severe weather. It’s important to install systems while we have the government rebates in place. Take advantage of the rebate today!
Now, with the help of NightEye, we aim to make it even easier to prevent flooding in your home. The NightEye is always watching. Intelligent alarm and pump monitoring notifications are sent to your phone. No subscription fees or service charges are levied against you. The system works through your home’s wireless router, and connects with BlinkUp technology.
Book your basement waterproofing consultation today, and be sure to ask a technician to show you how NightEye can help you.