Did you know that heating your home accounts for approximately 60% of your energy bill*? It’s a good idea to ensure your home heating is as efficient as possible.
Since ancient times, humans implemented home heating to keep their families comfortable. In fact, the first central heating system was invented by the Romans. This system used a fire or furnace to generate hot air under the floor to heat the rooms above. They called this a hypocaust.
Boiler & Home Heating Tips
Follow these helpful home heating tips to keep your home heating system functioning optimally throughout the year.
You may not use your boiler until the cold weather grips Canada in its icy grip. However, it’s important to perform heating system maintenance during the warmer months. That will help prevent the system from breaking down during a freeze. Here’s how:
- Listen to your system – Loose or worn out parts in the heating system can cause unusual sounds to come from your boiler. Don’t ignore knocking, clunking or popping sounds. Call a certified heating system technician from Hoerner Heating & Plumbing for an inspection.
- Clean the vents – A heating and cooling system functions best when it is clean. This is easy to do. Simply unscrew the duct covers and clean the grates with a brush. Your vacuum cleaner’s accessories hose will also come in handy too.
- Seal any leaks – When there are leaks in your system, warm air will leak out and the system will have to work harder to compensate. Seal any leaks in walls and around windows and doors as well to ensure proper insulation.
Home Heating Tips: Know when to invest in a new heating system
If you notice any of the following, you may have to replace your boiler:
- There are cold spots in the home – or worse, there’s no heat.
- The air in your home is dusty or dry.
- There are strange noises.
- The system is older than 10 years.
- The system requires extensive repairs or replacement parts.
These home heating tips are brought to you by our technicians at Hoerner Heating & Plumbing. It pays to do your research and find a reputable local contractor in Toronto who will inspect your system thoroughly and provide the right solutions for your needs and your pocket.
Call Hoerner Heating & Plumbing today to schedule a boiler maintenance call and for home heating tips that apply specifically to your unique circumstances.