Frozen pipes are no fun! We’re heading into a stretch of very cold weather that could play havoc with your plumbing system. Water expands when it freezes. Frozen pipes can burst and cause thousands of dollars of damage in a short period of time.
How to Prevent Frozen Pipes
- Reroute and / or insulate exposed pipes on the exterior walls, and in attics and crawl-spaces.
- Winterize your property during late summer, early fall.
- Maintain your boiler regularly.
- Turn up your hot water heater during severely cold climates.
- Open the faucets slightly during freeze periods to keep it moving in the pipes.
- Open doors in rooms with no heat to help warm air from other rooms to circulate.
- Invest in a hot water heater blanket.
- Shut off the main water supply if you will be away from home for more than 2 days.
- Leave your heating on if you will be away.
- Pack away hoses and turn off outdoor water supply.
The success of this is not guaranteed but it helps.
Call Hoerner Heating & Plumbing – 416 463 2573 if you happen to have frozen pipes.