Saving Hot Water
The Hoerner guide to using hot water sparingly
Heating elements are the biggest energy consumers. It wouldn’t come as a surprise to know that after space heating and cooling, water heating is your home’s second-largest energy expense. In fact, the average family uses approximately 225 litres of hot water daily, according to Hydro One.
There are many ways in which you can save on energy costs:
- The average bath uses approximately 75 litres of hot water, whereas a five-minute shower using a low-flow showerhead uses less than half of that. You can save as much as a third of your hot water consumption by installing an energy efficient showerhead from Hoerner Heating & Plumbing.
- Cold-wash your laundry. By washing your laundry in cold water, you will not only protect your fabrics from shrinking or fading, but you will also save enough energy for more than 200 showers a year.
- Improve diswasher efficiency. When running your dishwasher, always make sure it is full. Select the eco wash cycle and use the air dry option.
- Install aerators. Cut your water consumption in half by installing aerators on all your faucets.
- Fix that leak. Did you know that a leaking faucet can waste an average of 10 litres of water per day? A small leak left unattended can leave a hole in your budget. Don’t delay – call Hoerner Heating & Plumbing at 416-463-2573 for expert faucet repair and replacement services. Also check out Hoerner’s Moen energy efficient faucets.
- Insulate your pipes. Wrap all your non-plastic pipes in tape wrap or use snap-on foam pipe tubing.
- Use hot water during off-peak hours when the demand is lower and the rates lower to save on your energy bill.
- Let the EnerGuide label help you choose a new appliance. Remember, your spending doesn’t end just because you’ve bought and paid for the appliance. There’s a “second price tag”, which is the operating cost of the appliance. Read the label to see how many kilowatt hours of energy the appliance needs to run.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR label. Appliances that carry this label are the most energy efficient appliances. An ENERGY STAR washer uses 33% less water and 25% less energy. ENERGY STAR dishwashers use 30% less water and 12% less energy.
Save Energy with Tankless Water Heater
Tankless water heaters offer a much higher efficiency. Modulating condensing water heaters offer further fuel savings. Since there is no large storage tank, a tankless water heater is perfect for small rooms or apartments. Finally, a tankless water heater is great for the environment, since it only fires when it is in use.
Call Hoerner today! We can service and repair your old water heater; or replace it with a new tankless or traditional gas fired water heater.